Thursday, June 28, 2007

Finding out...

So... I haven't really jumped into the blogging world yet- this is my 1st post. Quite honestly, I have been avoiding it for some time now- as I really am not a fan of adding one more thing to occupy my time. But- I must admit it is pretty effective in keeping good friends- both near and far- connected. So, I suppose I will give in and finally join the blogger world.

A fun little story to share... how it all began. I had just finished school and started a new job when Josh & I decided to go off birth control and see what happened. We weren't really trying to get pregnant- but we weren't preventing either. It was November 3, 2006. Josh and I had been driving around looking at houses (just for fun) and I kept thinking- I don't know why I feel so car sick. I have never been one to get motion sickness. After getting to the point of obvious nausea- I finally said something to Josh. His first response was "don't try to talk yourself into thinking you're pregnant". I actually was pretty shocked he said that. That had not even crossed my mind!

After I got home- I couldn't stop thinking about his comment. He left to go get a haircut- so I started looking at the calendar and suddenly realized - I was 5 days late. I had one test left from a previous freak out episode in which I thought I might be pregnant. I thought - let's just see what happens. I took the test to find a very quick positive. I was shocked! I started running around the house like a little girl on Christmas day. And then I started questioning the results. Surely it had to be a bad test. Or maybe I was reading it wrong. Of course, I rushed over to the drug store and bought another test or 2. You know - the digital kind that reads "PREGNANT" or "NOT PREGNANT". I figured Josh wouldn't believe it any other way.

He pulled in the driveway right behind me and began questioning my sudden trip to the drug store. Despite my best efforts to keep my testing materials under raps- he busted me! I finally had to confess to him what had just happened- when he said "what are you waiting for... hurry!". Once again, the test came out a quick positive. We just smiled and stared at each other in blissful shock. Praise the Lord... we are going to have a baby!

It was actually Debbie's birthday, and we just couldn't keep our excitement to ourselves! I quickly went out and bought a "Happy Birthday" bib and I love Grandma picture frame. We wrapped it up and presented it as the last gift at the family get together. How fun!

I can't believe the little one we have been dreaming about since that day will be here so soon!

3 comments:

Nathan said...

Welcome to the blogesphere, Lisa! GREAT first post. Very funny. We are so excited for you guys and can't wait to see pictures of Baby Surratt!

Anonymous said...

So I figured I might get a reply from you!! I know, I know. You tried to tell me. But I must say- I think I would still be resistant to the blog world if it weren't for the little guy on the way. I must admit- it's been pretty fun thus far! I hope you and Amber are doing great! We miss you guys so so much!!

Nathan said...

Baby blogs rule the blogesphere. With the possible exception of political blogs, blogs about babies are king. Yours is off to a great start. Hilarious story. And it perfectly captures "Josh and Lisa." I can totally picture Josh giving you a hard time about the morning sickness. Amber and I got a big kick out of your story. Anyway, keep up the good work. We're looking forward to reading about "Peanut" and seeing pics and vids!