Tuesday, July 10, 2007

So This Is What They Were Talking About

I think the planets lined up against us last night. See, Miles has been in a really good rhythm for the last day or two. Once we finally figured out how to get him to stay awake through a feeding, he would eat a full meal and then sleep for a good 2 hours and then wake up happy and hungry. Then we would repeat the process. I actually thought to myself before we went to bed last night that this isn't as hard as everbody says it is.

Then reality set in. We fed Miles at about midnight, burped him and changed him, then settled in for our 2 hours of sleep. About 5 minutes later he was screaming. He had spit up all over himself and was not happy about it.



No big deal right? We just changed him and tried to get him settled down. After about an hour or so he calmed down and went to sleep. Just when mom and dad are getting ready to fall asleep, he was screaming again. I got up and rubbed his chest and talked to him but none of my tricks were working. That's because he soaked himself - diaper, onesie, swaddler, sheets, and anything else within range. Now I'm getting just a tiny bit frustrated:(



So we go through the whole changing, feeding, burping process again and decide to pull out all of the stops. We put him in the swing. He loved it - for about ten minutes. So we switched that arrangement and I put him down in a bassinet type deal...and I begin to pray. I think it worked because as I was praying for God to settle His peace down on Miles, he relaxed to the point that I heard a loud rumble in his diaper, then another, followed by a loud scream. Uggh! By this point it is 4:39am and we've all been up since midnight. Miles changed clothes more times last night than I do in an entire week! After one more feeding, he finally settled down and spent the rest of the night sleeping on mommy's chest.



Time to start it all over again today! Praise God for fresh starts. We realize that it was a lot tougher on Miles than it was on us. Through all the frustration, sleep deprivation, urination, and defecation, I just can't help but look down at this little guy with total adoration. Yep, Miles has his mom and dad head over heels in love!

4 comments:

Abby and Reese said...

I am so impressed with your positive outlook, that's tough to have with sleep deprivation mixed in! Keep up the good work. It gets soooo much easier, I promise.

Abby and Reese said...

Sorry, I'm using my girl's log in...It's Leslie!

Anonymous said...

Lisa, We are so excited for you guys. That was a great blog I felt like I was there that night! I can't wait to see Miles, and I love that name by the way, I know you were still in debate about it last I checked. Congratulations and I hope to see you soon! xoxoxoxo Brandi Michelle

Doug said...

Ok, I'm definitely not laughing with you... Poops, I mean, oops, scratch that. abby and reese said, "...It gets soooo much easier, I promise." abby and reese LIED. Have I ever told you about Brandon? Ha! Just kidding! Hilarious posts, Josh. Keep'em coming... if you can stay awake. Aunt DeMarva and I can't wait to check out Little MJ and begin converting him into a Houston Rockets fan.